The beginning of my EVS

Here we go! I survived couple of calm hours on the train. I have to admit, I did not put a of of thoughts into the comfort of carrying two pieces of luggage, both ‘up to 20kg’. Of course that means ‘heyyyy, let all the hells break loose’’ and throw in everything your heart desires (or your suitcase is able to take).  After that of course take everything out again because, god help you,  you do not need 5 pairs of short pants if you’re going north, right? Besides, I guess you will be able to survive without the water cooker. The ones who know me, are quite well aware that my beloved mini water cooker is always by my side on the longer trips. The heartache will remain, but life goes on. It’s just us, hoarders, we’re awful.
I did not have a time of my life transporting these suitcases though. But hey, they said up to 20 kg! That means I can carry 2x20 kilos, right? 





 Not many fascinating event occurred on the way to Oslo. I arrived on Vienna airport from the main station, ranted because nothing was marked, I naturally forgot about the possibility of luggage-trolley (or whatever this thing is called) so I had the passion of the Christ in a nutshell. Have I mentioned that I haven’t packed lightly? I tried, I really did. But hell, the answer was ‘’yes, I am able to carry my luggage’ ’but only if I make peace with the muscle pain the next day.

I passionately dislike airports and all the complications with it. I cannot say this enough. I just find it dreadful to stress myself over the hand luggage, time, searching for the way, gates, being checked 80000 times if I’m a terrorist and waiting until the staff agrees that I won’t stab anyone with a nail clipper if I keep it in my bag on the plane. But, surprise! The project funded my ticket and it was not even a low cost plane! Therefore, everything went through as smooth as probably never before. I even got a sit by the window, so hooray, no need to endure two co-passengers glued on on it with their smartphones, taking artsy pictures of the clouds! Alright, grumpy granny out. The flight was pleasant, the weather and the view were nice. Ironically, I was the annoying one who couldn’t take eyes off the view, but the view of Vienna just fascinated me. I thought about the streets I walked, the nights I studied, how many challenges I overcame in the city I am looking at below me. Bittersweet memories. The city of opportunities, but at the same time loneliness of a sort. I gazed into Vienna until the surrounding forests covered the horizon and in a blink of an eye, we crossed the state border.

I need to point out I have been to Norway before as volunteer, but only for two weeks, so in this sense, I got familiar with quite some concepts. What fascinated me the first time already that the airport was such a calm place. Not significantly different than other airports, just with lower volume. The same goes for the public transport. The sunny day welcomed me into my new city of residence and so did my coordinator Anbjørg (I though I would never be able to remember that name) and co-volunteer Patricia, the graphic designer from Spain. They helped me with my luggage and I think I so I managed to torture all of us in the first 10 minutes. Terrific! 





The manager of the Ronningen hostel (where we were staying initially) called Vidar was the guy I heard only the nice things about. He was said to be relaxed and fun, and he kindly offered himself to pick me up at one of the metro stations. That was a gesture that impressed me a lot since he must have quite some other responsibilities. He shortly described us the district and asked all about us. It seemed really encoraguing!

Ronningen hostel
                                                                 

There was already a bunch of other volunteers situated in a hostel. However, unlike us, they were working for a Rønningen hostel directly, meaning helping in the kitchen, tidying the rooms and keeping the hostel clean, while we are there for promoting the Hostelling international members – Rønningen being one of them. The Polish twins continued the saga of my luggage and kindly took it to the room.
It did surprise me to accommodate us in a double room. It was said not to be permanent, since one of us is moving to Bergen at some point, but I was visibly confused by that. Patricia, the nice girl she is, got totally terrified that she disturbs me with her presence, but it was nothing personal. Namely, I have never shared a room with anyone. Back in the day of my bachelor studies I lived at home due to convenience, and for my masters I had single room and after that even my own mini flat in the dormitory so I was quite used to having my own peace. I still advocate the idea of a single room as you do need some peace at least. But secretly I prayed that Patricia doesn’t snore – aside from that, I was certain we would get along well.

Internat for volunteers

The first day was exhausting, but in a good way! My capacity of received information was coming to an end, imagine 20 people introducing themselves with the names you never heard of, telling you where they come from, how long are they staying and what do they like for dinner.  As I mentioned in my Facebook already, after 2 hours of living in Oslo I met the first Serbian speaking person and found out the second one is on the way. Awesome, as if I’m home again!

After the superficial get-to-know evening we went to see around in the hotel a bit. Well, actually it is a school that turns into the hostel in the summer. Last season it was closed due to renovations and this summer it returned in all its glory – just wow, I have never seen that kind of a building. Everything extremely modern, shining, wonderful view on the city from the dining room. Everything at disposal and free – even encouraged – to use- table tennis, pool, auditorium, dancing room, fitness with totally new equipment, concert room, photo-video studio, computer room, sports hall and even small chapel for praying or meditation. Wicked. I’m totally impressed!

Chillout room

After all of this we got the dinner served. The first thing I noticed was ‘’brunost’’ – Norwegian brown cheese which is kind of sweet and the taste reminds me a bit of a peanut butter. I have known it from my previous visit of Norway – the first time I tried it, I went full crazy and ate a lot of it, I ate it with bread, waffles etc., and suddenly, I had too much of it and couldn’t take it anymore. That is why I took only a piece this time. Apart from that, there was quite a choice – potato salad, vegetables, cheese spread, butter, jam, some kind of kuskus. I discovered we will have 4 meals per day – breakfast, ‘’snack’’, lunch and dinner. Great, apparently, I will not starve!

I went to bed slowly. I cannot say I have not known it before, but this time I have actually experienced it – the prolonged daylight. It is quite odd to go to sleep where there’s daylight outside despite the reasonable hour. Even though there is not a full daylight, which is, well, still the case at 23.30 since the sun sets around 23.00 at the time and rises around 3.30 again. The first time I woke up was around 4 in the morning and you may imagine my confusion, I honestly thought I am almost late for my first day at work!

                                     Daylight after 23.00 on both pictures


Until next time!

Komentarji

Priljubljene objave iz tega spletnega dnevnika

How diffrent are we? Month one and a few Norwegian stereotypes

I'm going to Norway! When, how and why?